Old
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I do mostly agree. In theory, you sign a guy like Straka because he is a vet that you can plug into somewhere and has a bit of value out there, even with the contract he signed, especially since he signed a 1-year deal. The theory goes that Prucha should get time with Jagr, fail, and then Straka step in, and not the other way around. That's where reality comes in. Perhaps next season will be different. Perhaps next season they'll start to weed in a kid here and there. But again, the theory behind a Straka signing is something with which I agree - it's the coach's ability to then do the right thing is where I start to have problems.
When Straka (and Nylander, Malik and Rozsival) were signed they were mentioned on this board as stop-gap guys. Fast forward a year and a half and they are still entrenched as big time guys for this team. And they have added Shanahan and Cullen. Right now there is a second year, former 30 goal scorer playing on the 4th line. Straka has been a very good Ranger. But what, really is his upside on this team? The fact that Straka (and Nylander, Malik and Shanahan) are playing such an important role on this team means one of two things:

1) Either the prospects in this system are so far from being ready that there is no choice. And that would mean that Sather has really done nothing to improve the farm system of this team despite 7 years, 7 drafts and one trade deadline purge that saw one of the best players this team has ever had unceremoniously shipped out of town, than his predecessor did.

or

2) The whole rebuilding thing was one big lie and this administration has no desire to build a team from within.

Personally I think it's been a combination of the two. They just got lucky last season and managed to throw a starving fanbase a playoff crumb.