View Single Post
Old
12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Lundvist's team won a round. More than once. More than twice. More than 3 times. Lundqvist's team didn't have one of the biggest playoff collapses in NHL history with a supposedly 7 million dollar "top 20" defenseman. I think I could name 30 guys on D I'd rather have than Dion Phaneuf pretty easily.

Seabrook, McD, Chara, Seidenberg, Bieska, Doughty, Karlsson, Keith, Shattenkirk, Kronwall, Subban, Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo, Yandle, Fowler, Suter, Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Greene, Franson, Wisniewski, Campbell, Boyle, Leddy, Streit, Johnson, Jones, Enstrom, Coburn, Martin, Letang, etc...

We'll just agree to disagree. Phaneuf is not the guy I build my D around and not the guy I spend 10% of my cap on. No thank you.
Greene, Coburn, Leddy, Wisniewski, Streit, Enstrom, Fowler (how about more than 40 good games?), Franson over Phaneuf are beyond the realm of absolute jokes. You clearly have an irrational hate of Phaneuf and aren't basing this on play. Due to age/overall game guys like Boyle and Seidenberg are questionable as well (if you made a poll on the main board Dion would be valued over everyone I've mentioned so far, I have no doubt). Bieksa is questionable. Martin, Campbell, Bouwmeester, Johnson and Shattenkirk are as well. Even Seabrook and Yandle are questionable. Taking a rookie Jones may be true eventually but is kind of ridiculous at this stage. Especially when you arbitrarily leave out other rookies and young dmen who are looking just as good and have similar pedigree.

That leaves you with Suter, Weber, Keith, Karlsson, Subban, Chara, McDonagh, Letang, OEL, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Kronwall as your clear cut superior dmen. I included Seabrook and I'll add 5 more, since I listed so many guys as questionable. That comes out to 18. Even if we add another 5 for guys who you may have missed that comes to 23. There's really very little arguing that Phaneuf is in the top 20-30 dmen in this league. If you'd like to go on hating him, that's fine. But hating a player and that player not being good do not correlate. I hate Getzlaf and Giroux and Couture. I don't try to argue they're overrated and not as good as guys they're clearly better than.