View Single Post
Old
12-31-2013, 02:02 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
Greene, Coburn, Leddy, Wisniewski, Streit, Enstrom, Fowler (how about more than 40 good games?), Franson over Phaneuf are beyond the realm of absolute jokes. You clearly have an irrational hate of Phaneuf and aren't basing this on play. Due to age/overall game guys like Boyle and Seidenberg are questionable as well (if you made a poll on the main board Dion would be valued over everyone I've mentioned so far, I have no doubt). Bieksa is questionable. Martin, Campbell, Bouwmeester, Johnson and Shattenkirk are as well. Even Seabrook and Yandle are questionable. Taking a rookie Jones may be true eventually but is kind of ridiculous at this stage. Especially when you arbitrarily leave out other rookies and young dmen who are looking just as good and have similar pedigree.

That leaves you with Suter, Weber, Keith, Karlsson, Subban, Chara, McDonagh, Letang, OEL, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Kronwall as your clear cut superior dmen. I included Seabrook and I'll add 5 more, since I listed so many guys as questionable. That comes out to 18. Even if we add another 5 for guys who you may have missed that comes to 23. There's really very little arguing that Phaneuf is in the top 20-30 dmen in this league. If you'd like to go on hating him, that's fine. But hating a player and that player not being good do not correlate. I hate Getzlaf and Giroux and Couture. I don't try to argue they're overrated and not as good as guys they're clearly better than.
No, I don't. Please go bad to my original post which CLEARLY addresses the contract as being terrible because Phaneuf isn't a 7 year/7 million per player. He isn't. Comparable value-wise, I'd much rather have Enstrom, Fowler, Green, Coburn, Leddy, etc... No question about it.

Phaneuf has done nothing to impress me over the past 5 years. Nothing. And certainly not at a 7/7 deal. Just a deal I would never make. No irrational hate here, I just don't think he's a great player. Certainly not top 20, and not even close to guys like Seabrook, Shattenkirk, Campbell, Jaybo, etc... that you think are "questionable".

If the Rangers signed Phaneuf as a free agent for 7x7, this board would be overflowing with how stupid Sather is and comparing it to another Redden deal.

For those of you that are railing against this, you do realize that only THREE defenseman in the entire league are making more than that per year, right? Weber, Campbell, and Suter. And not by a lot. Doughty is making the same.

So Phaneuf is being paid more than guys like Chara, Keith and Seabrook.

It's a TERRIBLE contract.