View Single Post
12-31-2013, 10:12 PM
vCash: 500

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
See my comment in post 57, I'm talking specifically about skating and major junior is what I stated as then there won't be a huge grey area on it.

Ken Dryden has stated, in reference to concussions, on the slow pace of play one can witness in the NHL games of the 50's with much more time and space for players to do basically anything.

It doesn't take a hockey expert to realize that time and space and the more any skilled player has of it, matter.

There is major junior hockey in Quebec, go watch the skating in those games and compare back, it really becomes quite clear when one looks at it.
And my reply specifically referenced skating and elite junior aged players throughout NHL history, specifically Orr and Henri Richard who actually played in the NHL as juniors because of their skating and continued to a HHOF career. Also Larry Hillman who could skate at the NHL level as a junior, played, but whose overall game was lacking and actually never caught up to make him an NHL regular during the O6 era.

As for your suggestion to watch major junior in Quebec. Scout midget AAA, live a short walk from the local arena. QMJHL team, a half hour drive catch a few games a year.

In terms of raw speed Midget AAA or major junior are at the present day NHL level. In fact in terms of raw speed most can outskate easily NHL players like Jaromir Jagr, Douglas Murray and the depth players that compose the bottom half of most NHL rosters but they lack the physical maturity to be effective at the NHL level and the vast majority of them lack the other hockey basics and hockey knowledge to be effective let alone good or elite at the midget AAA or major junior level. In other words players like Jaromir Jagr, Douglas Murray though slower have the hockey smarts to play at the NHL level. The faster midget or major junior players do not and the vast majority never will, even for a shift.

This has always been the case. Early 1960s, the elite junior Canadiens would skate with the Canadiens at the Forum. Yvan Cournoyer at the age of 17 or 18 was a better skater than a number of NHL regulars but would be manhandled or simply allowed to skate himself out of the play.

As for Dryden's concussion related comments you see the same effect today. Regular season overtime, fast pace but short two skaters produces very few if any concussions because space is more plentiful. On th PP in regulation time when pace is reduced and one team is a player short you see concussions drop.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote