View Single Post
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Knublin' PPs
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's silly. These guys are professional athletes. All the best players in the world go. If seven more games (which I think is the most you can play in the tournament) is going to mean you are going to be too tired to play game seven of the Cup Finals, then you shouldn't be in the NHL. And don't give me crap about injuries. They happen all the time for a number of reasons. It would suck to see G or anyone get hurt seriously in the Olympics, but that's not a reason to not compete.

Again, if you are worried that seven extra games is going to derail a season for Giroux or anyone else, maybe you should be worried about their physical conditioning instead. No reason for you to be concerned with the best athletes in the sport because they are playing in the Olympics. People say the same crap about the All-Star game.
It can make a difference having guys go to the Olympics, especially when the tournament is so far away.

Extra games make a difference the deeper a team goes in the playoffs. You've seen what a grind the playoffs are and what it takes out of the players. Adding an extra seven games could mean the difference between those players helping a team get through a game seven or having those players just not have enough to help their team win a game seven.

On the flip side, 2010 was the Toews break out show; he rode the confidence of his performance in the Olympics to help Chicago to the Cup (not to forget Keith, Seabrook and Kane who all played in the gold medal game).

I think it will be a detriment to the Flyers to have Timonen play for Finland and Streit for Switzerland. I'm not too worried about the younger guys (Giroux, Voracek).

I deride your truth handling abilities