View Single Post
Old
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Except it isn't. Downie, Read and Schenn all took headshots in the past month, with Rinaldo either on the ice or sitting on the bench. There is absolutely no evidence that Rinaldo or Rosehill provide any deterrent effect whatsoever. You're just taking that on blind faith. I could just as easily say Rinaldo inspires retributive justice against our skilled players by running around taking borderline cheapshots.
Yeah, my gut feeling is telling me it's a deterrent, as well, but trying to look at it objectively, there seems to be no evidence that it is. At least in Rinaldo's case it isn't, since, in contrast with Rosehill, he's not much of a fighter. All he can do is keep up with guys, and I'd say if there are deterrents in the lineup, Simmonds is much more of a one. But it's hard to gauge these things, because what we call cheap shots often happen in the heat of the game, so it's not like those that execute them are thinking ahead and calculating their chances of getting their ass handed to them depending on whether we have a tough guy in the lineup or not. So it's really hard to gauge these things. Plus, you don't know the long-term effects of having such players in the lineup or at least on the roster. That is, if opposing teams know we have those guys and that they occasionally, if not always, play, the amount of cheap shots might be reduced. Or it might not. See, I don't know

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote