Old
01-02-2014, 10:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Then you aren't paying attention. It gets mentioned all the time. Whenever a Finalist struggles the next year as the season goes on, it gets mentioned. Former players in the media get asked about it and they confirm it's a factor. Hell, it was discussed constantly here when the Flyers dropped off a year later; GKJ and Jester posted the stats for Finalist teams following up their performance several times; hell, you probably debated that point with Jester.
I don't think I've ever heard it discussed more than just a passing remark. Moreover, I think the only year since the lockout that the Cup Champions and runners up missed the playoffs the following year was 2007 when the Canes and Oilers missed the playoffs. Aside from that, I think every year the Champs and runners up made the playoffs and most won at least one series (including one year when it was the same final). Maybe I am wrong on this, but I never heard any players ever say that the reason their team came up short was because they made it to the finals the year before. Again, I could be wrong. If that is the case then ok, you can't argue with what the players themselves are saying, but I haven't heard that before.

And as I stated earlier, playing 5-6 games midseason is different than playing an extra 10 games at the end of a season and having a shorter offseason.

Quote:
Part of the argument presented by the league and GMs for doing away Olympic participation each year is that they not only want to eliminate the risk of non-NHL related injuries, but they don't want star players getting worn down. This isn't a new concept we invented on our own here and now, it's been discussed as a factor for ages.
And that's fine. I understand the theoretical argument behind not wanting NHL players in the Olympics (More games = more tired players). If they did away with it completely I wouldn't be heartbroken, I just don't think it is something that we need to be concerned about. Now, if Claude Giroux, Kimmo Timonen, or any other player was hurt and decided to play in the Olympics while injured, that is something I would not want to see. But assuming they are healthy, I'll take my chances on them getting "burned out" come May or June.