View Single Post
01-03-2014, 02:13 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wing is the strongest position for the US. I think Ryan, Wheeler, Pacioretty, and van Riemsdyk are all basically on the same level. JvR is having a decent season, but he has the existing chemistry with Phil Kessel, and Burke plucked him out of Philly, so that played in his favor as well. The comments from Burke are classless, but it's Burke so expecting class out of him is like expecting hell to freeze over.

The real puzzler for me is Orpik. Sure, he's physical and has experience, but he's also a mediocre skater and is likely to be exposed on the larger ice surface. I would have gone with Erik Johnson. Not as gritty, but a much better skater and moves the puck better as well.
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I honestly would take Okposo over every US winger but Kane, Parise and Kessel this year.

Also 100% agreed on EJ over Orpik and the ice size being a factor.
EJ is a righty, Brooks Orpik was a lefty. While Paul Holmgren wasn't involved in the same level he was in the prior Olympics, he shaped the thoughts of importance of L/R defensive pairs. player actually messes up the Left/Right pairings...and that is either Orpik or Martin (who are both lefthanded and an expected pair).

Suter (L) - Shattenkirk (R)
McD (L) - Faulk (R)
Fowler (L) - Carlson (R)
Orpik (L) - Martin (L)

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote