Bluenote's Early 2004 Mock Draft
View Single Post
01-27-2004, 10:00 PM
13 all year long
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Bluenote's Early 2004 Mock Draft
The order is sure to change, just trying to get a feel for what some teams may be looking for......Flame away.....
1. Pittsburgh: Alex Ovechkin - LW - Rus League - There really is no doubt, based on pure skill and possible Superstar ability, Alex is #1 now and will be in June.
2. Washington: Cam Barker - D - Medicine Hat - Lots of holes on the Caps, but taking the best D-man in the draft is the smartest move.
3. Columbus: Yevgeny Malkin - C - Rus League - The BJ's offense would be set with the eventual Power trio of Malkin/Zherdev/Nash.
4. Carolina: Rostislav Olesz - C - Cze League - A Center with a combo of size, speed, and scoring. Three things the Whalicanes could use. Montoya/Schwarz may be an option here, but the Canes seem to have a fair amount of Goalie Depth in their system, they need bodies upfront/blueline in the worst way.
5. Chicago: Wojtek Wolski - LW - Brampton - Chicago needs some size & grit upfront. With Mark Bell already on the Left Chicago has a great one two punch for the future.
6. Buffalo: Robbie Schremp - C - London - From Fulton, NY, kind of a homecoming of sorts. Maybe being closer to home will help all the 'bad attitude' talk. The Sabes need offense, this seems to be the best fit for both player & team.
7. Anaheim: Mike Green - Saskatoon - A Combo of size & skill, on a lesser scale, this year's version of Phaneuf. Put up great numbers at Prospects skills competition.
8. Edmonton: Kyle Chipchura - C - Prince Albert - Great package of size, skating & skill. His numbers don't add up to the #1 NA ranking, is he getting enough icetime? Currently on the IR with a groin injury.
9. Florida: Ladislav Smid - D - Cze League - This player gives Florida a nice one two punch on defense with Bouwmeester already making a name for himself.
10. New York Rangers : Boris Valabik - D - Kitchener - Maybe not the best player available, but the most crucial for the defensively challenged Rangers. A force in front of his own net, standing 6'6, 220 and not even 18 until Valentine's day.
11. Minnesota: Alvaro Montoya - G - Michigan - Top ranked NA goalie, was MVP of USA's Gold winning team at U20 Championships in Finland. I think someone will trade up early to grab him, but this Mock has no trades, so he goes at 11.
12. Atlanta - Andrew Ladd - W - Calgary - Size & Skill along the boards is something thats missing from the Atlanta squad. Scoring on the blueline is also a concern(13 goals total this year from defense), Sami Lepisto is an option as well.
13. New York Islander - Johan Fransson - D - Swe League - Skilled blueliner will work well with last year's 1st rounder Nilsson.
14. Tampa Bay- Marek Schwarz - G - Cze League - Arguably the best goalie in the draft. Not ready for primetime but you can see flashes of the Dominator in his acrobatic style.
15. Phoenix - Wes O'Neil - D - Notre Dame - Underrated, playing well with lots of minutes in his first season at ND. Brings some offense to the Yotes blueline.
16. Los Angeles - Devan Dubnyk - G - Kamloops - Big boy who covers alot of net. The Kings could use more defensive depth if they don't go with one of the netminder's available. Maybe trade up to get Schwarz?
17. Dallas - Lauri Tukonen - W - Fin League - Dallas needs size and scoring on the wing. Two for one with this talented forward.
18. Montreal- Alexandre Picard - LW - Lewiston - Good value to get a player like Picard at #18. I didn't pick him based on his French name, this player makes sense for the Habs. They need some size on the Wing badly.
19. Calgary - Evan McGrath - C - Kitchener - Creative, still growing Center. Good vision, passer. Calgary could use more creativity upfront.
20. Nashville - Jakub Sindel - C/W - Cze League - Preds need skill, Sindel is a quick & crafty forward.
21. St Louis- Adam Berti - W - Oshawa - Had surgery on both knee's last year, but has played very well this year, including a very good prospect's game. Physical and can score - cleans up the garbage on front doorstep.
22. Boston - Travis Zajac - C - Salmon Arm - Talented center, will be playing College hockey for North Dakota next season.
23. New Jersey- Drew Stafford - C/W - North Dakota - I expect Lou to trade up to get Drew, I can't see him dropping this far, so I made him the Devs pick, but note he'll go higher than this most likely. He has magic with Parise and they should continue to score at the next level.
24. San Jose - Dave Bolland - C/W - London - Still needs to mature, but a sniper with the puck.
25. Vancouver- Oscar Hedman - D - Swe League - Underrated D-man, very reliable, though not big at just 6'0.
26. Edmonton (From PHI)- Sami Lepisto - D - Fin League - Was impressive in front of the hometown crowd in Finland for the W20's. Godchild of Jari Kurri.
27. Detroit - AJ Thelen - D - Michigan State - IMO, the most underrated D-man in the draft.
28. Toronto- Anver Lisin - W - Rus League - May be the fastest player in the draft, quick shot. Leafs need scoring.
29. Colorado- Lukas Kaspar - W - Cze League - Big Winger, has good hands.
30. Ottawa- Andrej Meszaros - D - Svk League - Good two way defender, decent size.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Bluenote13