View Single Post
Old
01-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I respect your opinion, but simply don't agree. Hamrlik is, IMO, is far superior to Sydor. Sydor was -19 this season, for crying out loud. Now, I know that is partially a product of the situation in Columbus, but there is a reason he was dealt for so little return this summer.

The money issues are relevant, however. Sydor under contract might be worth more than Hamrlik who is a RFA this summer.

Tampa lost this deal big time, IMO.
Agreed. Hamrlik and Sydor are in different classes. Sydor's not played like a top pairing defenseman for some years now. He impressed me for a couple years in Dallas, but seemingly has regressed since then.

I don't think Sydor is a mess in his own end though, as someone mentioned. It's a little more than silly to call him a mess simply because of a bad +/- stat when you're playing on a poor team.

The only reason why I think Tampa may get the short-end of this deal is because of Sydor's contract. If the Lightning were closer to being a contender then I could see good reasoning to give up a top prospect and a good amount of cash for a player like Sydor. But seeing as how the Bolts are still several pieces away from being a contender--even after this move--it doesn't make too much sense.

That said, while I liked Svitov when he was initially drafted, I haven't found him to be overly impressive the past couple seasons. If he doesn't pick up the pace soon, he'll be a project more than a high level prospect.