View Single Post
01-03-2014, 04:12 PM
vCash: 500
Everybody makes it sound like there is some sure fire formula here. You do this and the result will be thus. You make this move and this will happen. You have this plan and you guarantee this result.

There is no magic solution or formula here. This is not fantasy hockey or an app on your smart phone. This is real life; its messy and unpredictable. The law of unintended consequences lurks over everything.

Not only is it about real life, but its worse: its sports and only one team goes home as champions. Its sports with a salary cap that in many ways punishes success and makes it difficult to keep team together.

You know what? Every team has a plan. No team, including the incompetent Sather run Rangers has not had a plan. The plan was: build with youth, supplement with high end talent acquired as UFAs or in trades, bring in a coach who will maximize talent. A great plan, a great "formula." But who could have predicted Richards getting old before his time, injuries to key players like Staal? Torts wearing out his welcome early? The lockout? It was a good plan, but as they say, life got in the way. And plans can't stagnate, especially in sports. All teams tinker with their roster in the off season or are forced to by cap restraints. Having a plan, having a good plan and sticking to it does not mean you will be successful.

Another thing: "core." Every team has a group of young and older players that is its core. But cores evolve and change. I blame the whole "core" mysticism on the Yankees and their Core Four. Now all teams in all sports pay homage to it.

I wish I knew what the answer is. I've been a Ranger fan for over 50 years and its darned frustrating. There is no sure fire answer. Sometimes it seems teams just blunder into success. Thats not to say that having a top notch GM doesn't mean anything: of course it does. But it doesn't guarantee success either.

One thing I've seen is teams, particularly in baseball, that get to a point in the season where it doesn't appear they will make the playoffs so they trade off their assets. More often then not, they are worse for the deal. Not all the time, for instance Beltran for Wheeler.

I am loathe to trade Cally and Girardi unless the deal is lopsided in our favor. We could find out that we did'nt appreciate their value until they were gone. We could find ourselves a much worse team. Not to say I don't listen to offers and move them under the right circumstances. But we must proceed with caution. Sometimes taking a step back sends you tumbling over the cliff and it takes years to recover.

Believe me, I'm tired of mediocrity. One cup in a lifetime of being a fan is not nearly enough. But there is no magic solution or formula. Fire Sather? Absolutely. Get draft picks? Absolutely. Develop your own? Positively. Have a plan and stick to it? Positively. But success is not a given.