View Single Post
Old
01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I do hate to cherry pick like this. And I largely agree with your post. But this bottom line just underscores exactly what is wrong with the Rangers.

Girardi doesn't "fit right now". Yet magically, he is desired by a ton of teams around the league. We are throwing away a first pair RHD because he doesn't fit the travesty that is the Rangers defense this year. How does that make any sense? Especially since the system & identity could very well change before Girardi's next contract is close to expiring. Because the organization has no plan. Well they "do" but it will change in 5 minutes.

Finding a top pair RHD is almost as difficult as a 1C. What player is gonna come in and fill his role? I love aspects of Buff's game. I have a hard time seeing him being close to as effective as Girardi in the abortion of a defensive system the Rangers are employing now. I'm not even talking about Buff vs Girardi. Because Buff's offensive game shifts the entire argument. I am talking about pissing away a RH defensive d because he "doesn't fit" a defensive system when we have one defenseman who fits said system and the entire group has been wildly erratic.
Girardi is a bad fit for a transition offense. AV clearly likes the guys who can rush the puck out of their own end and Girardi simply can't do that. Hence the reason Del Zotto and his elite stretch pass continues to be passed over for John Moore. Also, for better or worse, it seems like man-coverage is here to stay in the defensive zone. You can't play man-to-man without being able to skate. Additionally, like you said, you're cherry-picking a point. It's not that he simply doesn't fit. It's that he's a bad fit right now AND he's due for a significant raise AND plays a style of game that has a track record of breaking a player's body down. Do we want to invest ~$5-6M per for 7 years in the hope that Girardi will be the exception to the rule when it comes to shot-blocking defenders?

Replacing him is difficult, but not entirely impossible. I think saying we're pissing him away is a bit over the top. I'm not advocating putting the guy on waivers. I'm saying that if you can get a solid return that builds for a better future, then it's something that absolutely has to be considered.