View Single Post
01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Change is good.
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Girardi is a bad fit for a transition offense. AV clearly likes the guys who can rush the puck out of their own end and Girardi simply can't do that. Hence the reason Del Zotto and his elite stretch pass continues to be passed over for John Moore. Also, for better or worse, it seems like man-coverage is here to stay in the defensive zone. You can't play man-to-man without being able to skate. Additionally, like you said, you're cherry-picking a point. It's not that he simply doesn't fit. It's that he's a bad fit right now AND he's due for a significant raise AND plays a style of game that has a track record of breaking a player's body down. Do we want to invest ~$5-6M per for 7 years in the hope that Girardi will be the exception to the rule when it comes to shot-blocking defenders?

Replacing him is difficult, but not entirely impossible. I think saying we're pissing him away is a bit over the top. I'm not advocating putting the guy on waivers. I'm saying that if you can get a solid return that builds for a better future, then it's something that absolutely has to be considered.
Exactly. Saved me the trouble of another long post.

I don't think anyone's advocating a full-on rebuild - we all know that ship sailed the moment they signed Hank to a max contract. But there is a core group of players (Al will please pardon the phrase) who were built for the old system, that are getting older and that are due for new contracts.

When they shifted from Torts for AV, that move indicated that they had acknowledged the failure of the previous plan and moved on to a new one. Once you've done that, you need to begin executing on it. This trading deadline should represent the next step. Get the best possible returns for Cally, Girardi, MDZ, Boyle, D. Moore - and maybe Staal.

You're not looking to blow it up Buffalo style; you're looking to get the best possible influx of new assets for the ones that don't fit the plan you're pursuing now - no matter how well they performed under the old one.