View Single Post
Old
01-03-2014, 03:59 PM
rangersfan9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
A couple responses to the "who fills Girardi's minutes" comment...

1. Girardi does nothing on the PP, so those mintues can be handed off to Stralman, Allen, ect without substantial loss.

2. On the PK, the handedness of a defenseman is less important. So NYR could run 2 pairings, those being McD, Stralman and Staal, Del Zotto or Staal-Moore

3. For ES, you'd have to move someone over. That is the big problem, because to me the main reason for Del Zotto's recent struggles have been the fact that he was the guy forced over onto the right hand side. You could try McDonagh over there, or really anyone, just not Del Zotto.
Who would you move over to take top pair minutes? Could Staal move over? Could McDonagh move over to the right? If those are not possibilities, then I don't see how you could replace Girardi effectively. The D-Man just aren't there in the system or on the team to replace the loss of a 1st pair RHD.

I agree that you can easily replace him on the PP and the PK to a lesser extent. For ES though, Stralman can't do the job of 1st pair RHD against some of the top lines in the league every night and if you can't move Staal or McDonagh to the right side, its going to be a huge problem. Besides, who can the Rangers sign in free agency that is a bargain compared to Girardi that could do a good job as a 1st pair RHD? I just don't see that player out there in free agency.