View Single Post
Old
01-04-2014, 05:35 AM
Havre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placid View Post
ahh, he did ? I know next to nothing about him before his tenure in the Rangers (while i've seen highlights and the odd Canucks game, i've never watched them regularly).

He has been quite good in rolling at least 3 lines fairly evenly this far, but this might perhaps be because he doesnt know his players well enough yet.

In any case, i hope that he'll continue to distribute the ice time relatively equally between the players. But we'll see
It has to be said he had two of the best Cs in the league available on his two top lines (Kesler before his injury problems was a beast) - so it allowed him to play things a bit differently than you would have to with most rosters. It is extremely unlikely that NYR will ever have two Cs as good as Sedin and Kesler aka 2009-2011 under AV.

I don't think it was only up to AV, but the situation with Hodgson would be comparable to a third line with Thoresen. Vancouver never tried to build a 3rd line that would fit a C like Hodgson who is better offensively than defensively. Instead the 3rd line was build around Malholtra (basically to deal with defensive zone face offs), Påhlsson, Lapierre etc.

I like AV, but he is good and not very good in my opinion. He benefitted greatly from having three elite players on fairly cheap contracts (Sedins and Kesler) as well as playing in an utterly crap Northwest Division.

I guess I'm crashing the Zuccarello appreciation thread here. I'll stop discussing AV in this thread.

Havre is offline   Reply With Quote