View Single Post
Old
01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
goalsequalvictory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Based on this 13 game sample size, Talbot is > Quick, Rinne, Lundqvist, Price, etc.

How many of you wouldn't trade Talbot for Quick or Rinne RIGHT NOW? Get over the 13 game sample.

And in regards to scoring goals, Lundqvist has been in net for all five times the Rangers have been shutout. Meaning, he entered five games with 0% chance to post a win. If the Rangers even scored 2 or 3 goals in some of those shutouts, he could have a .500 record.

Can't wait until Lundqvist wins a Silver or Gold Medal at the Olympics. He could have his second gold around his neck, and his haters would still push Talbot over him.
I wouldn't, because of economics. Quick makes $5,800,000, and Rinne makes $7,000,000(Cap hits, which are all that the NYR really care about.). Talbot makes $562,500. That's an average savings of $5,837,500, which likely would have a much greater impact if spent on our forward or defense group instead of a goalie. The difference in production that you get for that money is likely much more significant in another area of the team where it is needed.

If I'm Sather, I give Talbot a 3 or 4 year extension on July 1, as soon as you can, ideally at around 1.5 million or so. Either he shows he can be a legit starter and it's a great contract, meaning that the return in a likely trade would be significant(A .923 SV% goalie with 3 years at 1.5 million is going to bring a much nicer return than the same goalie at 7 million), or he regresses back to a solid backup, in which case it's a fair contract to a slight over payment by a couple of hundred thousand dollars, but not a huge deal. If he has another good/excellent/elite year next year, some team will throw big bucks at him in UFA to be a starter.

goalsequalvictory is offline   Reply With Quote