View Single Post
Old
01-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Crossbar

vCash: 500
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ey/7812593.htm

Here are just the important Dudley quotes to help clue everyone in on what he will deal for:

Quote:
''I suppose if we found the right guy and he was a three through five and he could help us right now, we would do that,'' Dudley said. ``But I don't know that somebody else's five through seven defenseman would be better than what we've got. What we've always felt we could use is a guy who could play in the top three."

''What we really would like to have is a guy who's played a few years in the league and has been a lot-of-minutes guy''

Quote:
The Islanders have a plethora of such defensemen, but probably are loathe to help one of the teams chasing them for the East's last playoff spot.

Edmonton is starting to slip in the West's playoff race, eight points out of eighth going into Tuesday's games. Should they falter, Jason Smith or Eric Brewer could be on the block.

Any potential fire sale out of Dallas is off for now, meaning guys like Teppo Numminen or Richard Matvichuk probably are off the market.

Los Angeles has lost its top four forwards, three who have been 30-goal scorers, but is right behind Dallas. The Kings, who could be looking to cut financial losses, have captain Mattias Norstrom, exactly the kind of defenseman the Panthers would want.

''[Owner Alan Cohen] told me if I could find a top two defenseman or the type of guy we're looking for, then money's not an issue,'' Dudley said. ``It's what we need both short-term and long-term.''

With all that said I think the guy Dudley is targeting the most is Eric Brewer because he fits the description quite well (logs a lot of mins and is a top 3 on his team) and he fits Dudley's MO (big, mobile, and hard hitting d-man), not sure what we could offer but it would certainly have to be more than Huselius and Hagman. I'm sure Dudley will make it worth Lowe's while for him to give up Brewer, I think since we are looking torwards making the playoffs now that we will offer up our 2004 or 2005 first rounder in a package since Brewer is the right age range for the "short-term and long-term" for us to give up on a first rounder. Brewer's contract after this season is up correct? Maybe that could factor into K-Lo trading him? Also if we do make the playoffs I'm sure Dudley will try to get Anthony Stewart signed in time if his OHL team is eliminated from the playoffs so for sure he won't be in any trade offers.