View Single Post
Old
01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
DecadesofFutility

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think that is the key part in all of this. Some trades aren't simply "OMG that team got a better player!" In the end, JvR may very well be the better player. He certainly will be the more noticeable. But at the time of the trade, the Flyers dealt from a position of strength (forward) to fix a position of weakness (defense, specifically defensive defense). Isn't that exactly what you want your GM to do and exactly what you want to see accomplished if you are a fan...improving an aspect of your team that needs improving without really hurting another aspect of your team?

Sure, it hasn't worked out exactly as planned to this point, but what is the GM supposed to do in that situation? Look at his team and say, "Man, we have a ton of young forwards but our defensive corps is very thin and we don't really have any young guys. In particular, we lack defensive defensemen. Oh well. Patience, right? Don't make any trades with young players with high ceilings, even if you are trying to get a young player with a high ceiling. Let's just hope we can sign or draft a guy instead." Then the fans around here would complain that Homer is giving too much money to an overpaid vet and ignoring defense when drafting and call for his head. Gimme a break. Homer did exactly what he should have done as a GM. Deal from a position of strength to improve a position of weakness. The clock is ticking on whether or not it will turn out ok, but it was the right move at the time. With hindsight, I might not do it knowing what I know now, but that could potentially have changed a lot things down the line (i.e. extending Read, signing Raffl, signing VL, possibly trading B.Schenn or Couturier for a defenseman etc.).

Even if you get a "lesser" player a the deal, and I believe the jury is still out on that being that Schenn is barely 24 years old, the deal may be better for the team.

I'd also like to point out again that JvR gets a ton of love around here, while a younger player on this team who puts up comparable numbers gets a lot talk about how disappointing he is. It's all about perspective.
I wanted Holmgren to upgrade the defense, but not with another defensive stay at home defenseman.
If they offered Yandle for JVR as a one for one swap, Holmgren should be fired within the hour.
Yandle is much more valuable than Luke Schenn.
No excuse for not making that deal and accepting a lesser offer from Toronto for JVR.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote