View Single Post
Old
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Matt19Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
No Giroux, no MSL, no Hall.
But somehow we have Nash, Carter, and Kunitz!

This is exactly how Canada fails to leverage its talent pool and lets other countries close the talent gap. Canada still has the best team on paper, but it's much closer than it should be. They pick the team conservatively instead of going for the jugular and running 4 supremely talented lines.
I totally agree with this. With the talent pool available, there is honestly no need to make distinguished "scoring lines" and "checking lines", because the C and D are such great scorers and solid defensive players that they will win the majority of their matchups anyway. Whatever line Crosby is on can rip it up on offence and shut down the other team's best players, same goes for Getzlaf's line, same for Toews. No reason to leave behind so many great offensive natural wingers when the team is so loaded at C and D. People talk about Hall being "too risky" for this roster, but I have little worry that he would be a liability defensively because:
1) Playing for the Oilers makes his all around game seem worse than it really is.
2) His linemates would be great all-around players to help cover for any mistakes he did make.
3) Hall makes WAY more good plays than bad ones: people just like to focus on the bad and not always give credit where credit is due for good plays.
4) He wouldn't have to carry his linemates like he does on a nightly basis with the Oilers, and less individual pressure=fewer mistakes.

With that said though, I'm not one to cheer against Canada based on certain players being/not being selected, so I'll be rooting for them the whole way.