Thread: Post-Game Talk: Grinding win accept it
View Single Post
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Had we waited and Emelin had a strong second-half of the season, he would've cost much more. The Cap is about to go up and a D like him will be a fortune. At least a D like him from last season.

Will he get back to where he was? I think it's a worthwhile gamble that he will. I'm sure Bergevin confirmed Emelin's knee was 100%, but then he gambled that his game would return to 100% and signed him cheaper, pre-UFA. I'll give Emelin until March for a fair assessment.
Much more??? How much do you think he was going to get?? 5.5M???
5M? Which is only a 900K increase in the cap hit..

The fact he got 4.1M after such an injury was already huge. The guy had not played in 8 months, and he wasn't this soldier beast everybody has made themselves believe because we coincidentally started sucking when he went down last year.
He had the same damn flaws. Often caught out of position, mishandles the puck, looks lost at times, less punishing hits.
Emelin's game hasn't changed from last year. What did change is Markov and his ability to cover for Emelin, he just can't do it as much this year. Remember last year when people were saying Markov seems to have slowed down? Well, that pairing looked like as crappy as it does now.
The only time Emelin has looked good was when he played on his natural side. Every time he was moved to the right, he sucked, that includes last year.
So, I don't understand how he got a 4y/4.1M deal to begin with. That was a much bigger deal than I thought he'd get already.
It was a stupid decision.

That being said, I agree, I'm sure Bergevin thinks that had he waited, it would have cost him more. My issue with that is this was the reason he gave to extending DD. That to him, he felt like if he waited, it would end up costing him more in the end. However, he also followed this up by saying he can't go back to change things now, leading people to believe he would have done things differently. And yet, he does the same thing with Emelin this year.

I'm starting to seriously doubt Bergevin's talent analysis. I think he too bought into the whole ''well we started losing after Emelin's injury, therefore he must be the key piece''.
This team is being carried by players that were here before Bergevin. Plek-DD-Max-Gallagher-PK-Markov-Gorges-Gio-Price, none of them are Bergevin acquisitions.
The guys he did bring in, Briere, Bouillon, Armstrong, Murray, Parros, Prust, aside from last season from Prust, they've all been pretty bad. That's concerning to me.
Not to mention, the extensions to DD and Emelin were completely poorly timed.

Hopefully he learns fast. It will be interesting to see what happens with Eller, Markov, PK, Gio, Diaz getting off the book this year. We'll see that he does.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote