Thread: Post-Game Talk: Grinding win accept it
View Single Post
Old
01-07-2014, 01:46 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
You know as well as I do that there's a huge gap between what we think a player's worth, and what the market says he's worth. Especially this summer when GMs go on a signing frenzy as the Cap goes up. It'll be terrifying and amusing to see what insane contracts are handed out! My guess is that $4.1M for a solid D in his prime will look pretty good in eight months. We'll see. Of course Emelin has to earn his money, and I admit he's looked bad this season. But I remain optimistic that he'll get back to 100%.

We'll have to agree to disagree on what 100% of Emelin actually means. Last season, I saw a responsible defenseman who became much better at handling the puck and taking out the opposition. He was a solid 2nd pairing. Yes, I saw mistakes, but much fewer than what you're describing. I do agree he was (and is) better on his natural side, though I think the difference is overstated. Most of Emelin's current problems are -- I hope -- because of conditioning, vision and confidence, three factors he can improve on with time.

Bottom line, I think it was worth the gamble to sign him. His skillset fills a desperate need on this team, provided, of course, that he reaches his potential. I'm guessing you'll be very happy with the guy come playoff time. But if we're still seeing the same issues in two months, you have license to say "I told you so".
He came back from his injury too early. No training camp is starting to bite him in the ass. + Now he got his fat, long contract !!!

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote