View Single Post
01-07-2014, 03:05 PM
HFBoards Sponsor
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
That's the point: Wouldn't you rather have Callahan at a similar contract, rather than the majority of those players? Because you'll be looking at players like that come next summer: Dany Heatley at $6M/5 years; Tommy Vanek at $7.5M for 7 years; Hemsky at $6M for 5 seasons...and those numbers might be too conservative...players usually get more than people think.
Vanek will get paid, but neither Hemsky nor Heatley will get anything close to that kind of money/term.

I love Cally and at a reasonable contract, I'd take him back. But he's going to want 7 or 8 years. He's going to want 6 mil per year. He's missed time this year with 3 separate injuries.

5 mil per for 4 years? Fine. Anything more than that is too much of a risk and we'd be better off trading him for cheaper, younger assets. This team isn't in position to win a cup. If and when we are, how much will Cally be able to contribute? I don't know that he'll break down to the extent that Drury did, but I'm not interesting in taking that chance on a big money, long term deal.