View Single Post
Old
01-22-2007, 10:49 AM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Renney had no problem playing the kids last season, because they were ready. Lundqvist, Tyutin, Hollweg, Prucha and Moore. I am sure there were quite allot of fans around the league saying, look Rangers brought over Lundqvist/Prucha straight from Sweden/Czech and made him a starter, why can't with do that with X.
This seams slightly revisionist to me. Prucha got jerked around for quite sometime before he was given major minutes, and then it was mostly due to Rosy's injury. Tyutin was already established and Moore and Hollweg are checkers who ofetn got 4th line minutes. Lundqvist simply blew Weekes out of the water.

This really is the problem with the Ranger's policy towards youth. Veterans are given the benefit of the doubt while kids are asked to be perfect from day one. While you never want to hand a kid a spot, it's also unfair to ask a kid to prove that he is signifigantly better than a proven veteran the first minute he steps on the ice or wait for the veteran to get injured. If a prospect is playing well enough to deserve a call up, and I don't know how anyone can say that Callahan hasn't, then he should be allowed the opertunity to earn a spot with the big team, especially when there are players infront of him that are underperforming :cough:Hall:cough:. And an opertunity doesn't meen one or two games, it meens long enough for him to get aclimated to the pace of the NHL. Asking a guy to jump from the AHL to the NHL and be perfect from the get go is unreasonable.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote