View Single Post
Old
01-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Honestly how big step back would trading Callahan and Girardi be even in the short-term?

Girardi has picked up his game compared to the first quarter of the season, but still hasn't been performing that well. Most of his good defensive plays are made when he created the mess himself by bad decisions and/or puck handling. As long as we get a competent D-man in return, or can do a separate trade to acquire one (say Tom Gilbert) we won't be losing that much. But there is some risk in trading Girardi considering our lack of RDs.

Callahan isn't doing much 5v5 (never really has) and has been replaced on special teams. He has been superseded by Kreider and Pouliot in front of the net on the PP and is only on the third PK pairing. Removing him from the lineup honestly wouldn't hurt us that much at all. I think Callahan is a better player than Girardi, but I honestly believe that trading him wouldn't affect us much. Miller can take his place on the 3rd line. It pains me to say, but Callahan has somehow become redundant on our team.

An example of a lineup without them:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kredier-Richards-Zuccarello
Brassard-Miller-Pouliot
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo (Dorsett when healthy)

McDonagh-RD/Strålman
Staal-Strålman/RD
Del Zotto-Moore