View Single Post
Old
01-28-2004, 03:38 PM
Safir*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M.D.
Two ideas are behind this proposal.

1) Due to injuries, the Blues season is over. They will not get past the 1st round against either Colorado or Vancouver, and they do not have the depth necessary to trade up.

2) The Lightning may be major buyers at this year's deadline, seeing that
they have as good a chance as anyone in the East of reaching the finals,
and most importantly, they have the room to add to their budget.

The proposal is:

St. Louis sends Tkachuk, Demitra, Osgood, and a 3rd round pick for:

Lecavalier, Kubina or Sarich, Svitov, and Khabibulin

Plus STL pays 1/3 of Tkachuk's remaining contract, which I believe has 2 years remaining at $7 mil per. Or something along those lines.

Is this doable? I believe yes. No secret Tampa would like to move 'Bulin, but they may not be willing to turn the playoff duties over to John Grahame. Osgood has an excellent playoff record. And of course Vinny's troubles in Tampa are well known, and he is also reported on the trade block.

The biggest selling point from Tampa's standpoint is that they get BOTH Demitra and Tkachuk, and therefore benefit from the excellent chemistry both have developed playing on the Blues' top line. Demitra is RFA after this year, and they can choose to keep him or not, but they will not lose him for nothing as long as they qualify him. Trading Tkachuk and Demitra together is the only I believe that Tkachuk has any trade value.

Imagine these two lines:

Stillman-Demitra-Tkachuk

Richards-St. Louis-Modin

Downright awesome.
I forget maybe you can tell me. Which Lightning player was send to Columbus in exchange for Sydor?