View Single Post
Old
01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
blandBob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
people think chanting will make a difference? it will not. Other people blame Sather, Renney. It's the team on the ice that wins and loses. Face it people, our record reflects the talent we have on this team.
but who shapes what the talent on the ice is, and what they do? I just have this feeling that many of these players are not as bad as they appear. For example, Cullen has been totally disappointing, but almost all NHL players need some decent coaching and a good system (e.g. coming out of the zone, dumping in, when to trap, when to show speed and when to conserve energy etc.) applied with discipline, to be their best. I really doubt that Cullen came here with the attitude that he didn't care anymore.

How does a player as good as Shanahan get to the point where his effectiveness as a player comes into question? He never heard of such a thing in his life, because it never happened until now. Shanahan never changed, but his surroundings sure did.

I go see the odd Flames game and they come out with a chip on their shoulder, and more often than not they take it to the other team. I saw the Rangers do the same thing earlier in the year for a couple of games in a row, and I thought wow these guys could beat anyone.
So why are the exact same players so bad now? Lack of coaching, lack of direction, lack of fire, lack of discipline. You cannot replace these, if you don't have passion, forget it. It's the job of the coaches and the players to come up with this.

Players playing their best is the result of a difficult balance between coaching and the player's own initiative. I'm no expert on which players to get rid of (except for the very very obvious Malik, Hall, A. Ward, Ruchanek), but I do know which coach and general manager should go.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote