View Single Post
Old
01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Long before looking at Vaatanen and Kyle Palmieri, Id look at Mike Green or Eric Johnson. I would evaluate someone like Tyler Myers. Guys like that. That or true blueship prospects of course.
Green is a good target, Colorado aren't letting EJ go though. I'm not high on Myers.

I still say go hard for Byfuglien who is an elite defenceman that is currently undervalued due to a low on-ice Sv%. I don't think his value is going to be lower than this in a very long time.

I agree on being cautions with Staal, who hasn't posted good possession numbers since his concussion apart from this season (negative CF% rel in 11-12 and 12-13), and those (the good ones) can solely be attributed to Strålman.

Staal without Strålman (adj. for zone starts):

11-12: 43.8 CF%
12-13: 49.7 CF%
13-14: 46.6 CF%

Compared to Staal with Strålman:

11-12: 44.5 CF%
12-13: 55.5 CF%
13-14: 56.3 CF%

I'm afraid that Staal might not be the same player after his injuries, but that Strålman is covering it up.

It's scary that two of the cornerstones of our defence might be significantly overvalued, but we may have to re-sign them to bad contracts anyway due to lack of options. You don't just up and trade 50% of your top 4 (or 50% of the entire defence if MDZ is moved)

That said, if we could somehow replace Girardi, Staal, and MDZ with Byfuglien, Gardiner, and Vatanen that could be great:

McDonagh-Strålman
Gardiner-Byfuglien (Buff on the 2nd pairing for balance)
Moore-Vatanen

That would be one of - if not the best - puck moving defensive corps in the league. It could also backfire immensely, but I choose to believe!

Or go for Hainsey instead of Vatanen/Gardiner if you want a more veteran D:

McDonagh-Strålman
Hainsey-Byfuglien
Moore-Gardiner/Vatanen

But honestly, those scenarios are way up in fantasy-land.

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 01-09-2014 at 07:02 AM.