View Single Post
Old
01-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I am not ready to agree to that. Why wouldn't Hextall Sr be part of the discussion as #2?
In my mind it's Bill Cook as clear #1, Bathgate and Hextall are battling it out for that #2 spot.
Here is my argument for Hextall: He was a fierce hitter who also led the league in goals scored 2 years in a row (Love those players), he was durable (Played 340 consecutive games), also clutch and won the cup.
Scored the OT GWG of the 1940 SC on the road.
Maybe I should not punish Bathgate for not winning the cup with the Rangers, but I find equally as tough to punish Hextall for winning it in such clutch fashion.
I don't believe Hextall belongs in the rarified air at the top of this list. I will try and compile stats later but my memory of looking over his stats earlier was that as clutch as he might have been in 1940, he might have actually been more fortunate than clutch -at least if you go by the rest of his playoff resume. My memory is that there were quite a few playoffs where Hextall was a no-show - 0 goals, 1 assist and a quick exit after 3 games. I also believe that for as much as perhaps half of his Ranger career, he was not the best Ranger winger on his teams. I can't place him on the same level as Cook, Bathgate and Gilbert when his time as top Ranger winger might have been 5 seasons and maybe fewer. More to come.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote