Old
01-24-2007, 01:20 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Erm, Bernier?

Talk to me in three or four years when hes a viable, possible, NHL backup.

Its going to be a long time before he sees any regular season action for the Kings.

They do need goaltending in the meantime, I would imagine that's something Dean is going to try and address through free agency around 08-09, until then, its all stop gaps until the organization is headed in the right direction.

I have a feeling its going to be sometime before Bernier is given the chance to win the #1 job. Rushing goalies hasnt seem to have worked out for the Kings in the past.
I don't know if Bernier will be a #1 one day. As of right now, I'm not convinced he was even the best goaltender in the 2006 draft, which was a weak class for goaltenders. I think Irving and Varlamov were the tops, and Helenius wasn't too far behind.

With that being said, Montoya has the potential to be an ELITE starter. He has all of the tools, and is already a successful AHL goaltender. Two time AHL All-Star, and the first time that he was an AHL All-Star, he was a rookie.

I don't think the Kings should trade for Montoya, it doesn't make sense at this point, unless something happens to Bernier. By the time Montoya would establish himself at the NHL level, Bernier would be in his rookie year, and then you have* a situation of Richter/Beezer hights to deal with, that can get real hairy.

Even though I'd love to get O'Sullivan or Jack Johnson from them in a deal, it just doesn't make sense for them.

Last edited by CM Lundqvist: 01-24-2007 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Edit = *
CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote