Old
01-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
Given the above, my rankings are:

2. Andy Bathgate
3. Rod Gilbert
4. Bryan Hextall

Bathgate was uber-elite during the O6. He was right in the mix with the likes of Rocket Richard, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Ted Lindsay, and Jean Beliveau. His regular season resume is remarkable in any era. I can't really fault him for his playoff record. His team was only upset once, and even then he had an excellent series.

If you have Gilbert ahead of Bathgate, it can only be because Gilbert compiled more points over a longer period of time. Bathgate peaked much higher, and I don't think that is debatable. He was also more important to his teams.

I have Gilbert ahead of Hextall. There are a lot of caveats to Hextall's resume. Hextall was the dominant goal scorer of his time, but better goal scorers came before and after him. Hextall dominated his peers, but aside from during WWII it was the weakest era in NHL history. Hextall scored the most goals for the Rangers during the 1940 playoffs, but third on the team in playoff points. Gilbert's tenure and raw totals win out, and I'm usually a big peak/playoffs guy.

Last edited by Crease: 01-10-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote