View Single Post
Old
01-12-2014, 03:27 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
*French-Canadian. They way they speak in Quebec is not indicitive of how the french of europe is spoken. Think of it as the "dirty south" version of french. Christobal Huet spoke something on the subject when he corrected announcers that his name was pronounced "Hu-it" instead of "Hu-ay", being from france and not french-canadian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Doubt that sincerely. Sam Rosen and Mike Emrick wouldn't let that happen.

He's not from Quebec, although he's from pretty close to the Ontario-Quebec border. From searching around a little bit, this is apparently how he pronounces it. Also, Marc-Andre Pouliot apparently pronounces it the same way.
Wow, thanks! I had no idea, I've always assumed French-Canadian and European French were the same.

On the point of pronunciations I wish the announcers would do a bit more research on the European players' names, some are pretty butchered for no reason. Some names are difficult for English speakers to get right (like Forsberg, Syomin and Fyodorov), but others wouldn't be hard at all:

Selšnne: SELL-ane, not Sel-AAne

Landeskog: Lan-de-skooogh, not Lan-de-skogh

Hagelin: Haag-el-een (like Aladeen from The Dictator ), not Hag-el-in

Those examples shouldn't be hard at all to get phonetically right for an English speaker if they knew the correct pronunciation.

Though I think many of the Swedish players like their anglicized pronunciations and don't ask their announcers to change.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote