View Single Post
01-12-2014, 10:21 AM
I taught Yoda
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
That is the point 101: 25 games where we have only scored 2 goals or less; 15 with 1 goal or less. That is HORRIFIC.

And while I hear you that the goals against are a problem, I point to our goalies, the terrible tandem of Hutton and Mazenac. There is not a worse pair in the entire league. Heck, neither of them would start for another team, and Hutton would not back up any team in the league.

You cannot win 2-1 games when your goalie is prone to giving up soft goals or back-breaking momentum changing goals against. Maz and Hutton have too many weak points (Hutton especially).

The one thing you hoped for with all of these signings this off-season was players being slotted into the appropriate role. This hasn't happened this year. Trotz has went back to his same antics of putting grinders on scoring lines and scorers on grinding lines in order to "balance" the scoring. Unfortunately, we do not have the even strength scorers that we had in years past. There isn't that true offensive talent that can carry a line anywhere in this offense.

11 of the first 26 games (Thanksgiving and earlier) saw the Preds get shutout or score only one goal .. they won 13 of those 26 in spite of scoring one or fewer goals in 42% of the games through that stretch. Since then, the team scored at least two goals in 75% of its games (not shutout, scored one on five occasions), yet won only six of twenty. We're getting more consistent scoring over the past 20 games (6, going on 7, weeks) but we're not getting the wins. This team lost four games when scoring 3+ .... three of them since Thanksgiving.

This team hasn't been able to win the low scoring games ... period. We depend upon the 3+ goal night to win ... a level that few teams in the league average in any season. It's a developing trend ... we were winless last season when scoring two goals, and pulled it off only twice so far this season. Good teams don't need a great scoring night for a chance to win ... they can compete in tight games. This year's Preds squad shows an inability to do that.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote