View Single Post
Old
01-12-2014, 10:48 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Pred View Post
Can you link the article where Korn was advocating for Hutton. What I read about the decision making on Hutton via OTF article (I believe) was pretty vague. Mitch Korn may have seen something in Hutton but the final decision came from someone else. That same article mentioned Poile saying something a long the lines of how impressed Poile was with Hutton who stole some games in AHL playing against the Ads.

We got to watch him many, many times. In the American Hockey League, its an unbalanced schedule and it seems like Milwaukee and Rockford play every other game. He kind of kept beating us and beating us and weve watched him a lot. He really moves the puck tremendously, Poile said. Hes a very exciting goalie to watch.
OTF as a source? May as well cite wikipedia.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=689321

Mitch Korn goes to Poile saying he'd found the guy for the backup role and explains why he advocated the way he did.

Quote:
Korn said the Predators flew Hutton in during the League's discussion period prior to the start of free agency last summer, and after Hutton's interview, he was sold. Korn said it was easy to convince coach Barry Trotz and general manager David Poile that Hutton was ready to play 15 to 25 games as Rinne's backup.

"Knock on wood we've had pretty good track records," said Korn, who has helped the organization develop Mike Dunham, Tomas Vokoun, Chris Mason, Dan Ellis and Rinne; in fact, only eight goaltenders ever have played for the Predators in their 15-year history. "Everybody's bought in pretty quickly. When we were looking for a second goalie, the (free agent) pool wasn't real deep. The majority of the pool were older guys whose best days were probably behind them and we made the decision based on what the results were last season that we didn't want to go in that direction if we could help it.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676925

.... again Korn making the pitch to Trotz and Poile and based on years of performance, Korn's opinion holding quite a bit of sway when it comes to goalies.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote