Old
01-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Ranger_Engineer
There are no windows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Marcus Foligno? Have people gone mad?

He's a decent 3rd liner, but nothing more and I don't see any top-6 upside there. Are people still up in arms over those 13p in 14gp back in 11-12?

Not really a guy you go out of your way to get.

Again, why would we make a trade to get someone who is at best a slight upgrade on our 3rd line?
Foligno would be a calculated risk, but one I'd be willing to take.

You must draft power forwards when they are available or trade for them before they're established. Once they're established, they become prohibitively expensive to acquire. By the time they're UFA, there's not much left in the tank.

Foligno would slot on the 3rd line @ LW right now. Even if he doesn't develop any more, he would be a physical wing who could chip in some offense and provide an answer to guys like James Neal, Lucic, Kunitz, etc., when they take liberties with the Rangers. A real light heavyweight who can play, which is a type of player that the Rangers don't have right now, but, in my opinion, need badly. That is not a slight upgrade.

The risk is the possibility that he is done developing versus the possibility that he could develop like his brother. Sure, there's no guarantee that he will end up like Nick. But Marcus is only 22, about three months younger than Kreider. Power forwards take a bit more time to develop.

If Marcus does develop like Nick, he would be a 20 goal, 40 point, 200 hit wing who would be a good first step in developing some team toughness.

Of course, all of this depends on what Buffalo would want for him. I'm sure it would be a lot, probably more than I'd want to spend.