View Single Post
Old
01-25-2007, 01:49 PM
cringer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
If it were up to me, I would be negotiating with his agent NOW to lock him up for next year. Forget his goals, what the guy does on the ice that DOESNT reflect on the scoresheet is enough to give him another contract
Agreed, I was just posting about this the other day but the thread was locked before I hit reply.

The only legit concern someone had was the risk of losing him in July, so better to trade him off as a rental.

Well there's a better option:

1) Decide if you want him here when he's 40, giving leadership to Staal and other young guys.

2) if so, approach his agent about a 1 or 2 year extension with a no-trade clause, letting him know your intentions for him.

3) If he signs, everybody is happy and we don't lose him as a UFA.

3) if he declines the offer - well then at least we know where we stand at the trade deadline if team's come knocking.

I think he likes it here and wants to stay personally.

Consider this:
Quote:
Unrestricted free agent winger Brendan Shanahan turned down competing offers from Detroit and Montreal to sign a one-year, $4 million contract with the New York Rangers.

Shanahan, who registered 40 goals and 41 assists for the Red Wings last season, received similar, if not higher paying, offers from the Wings and Canadiens.

"We are thrilled to welcome Brendan and his family to the Rangers," said Rangers GM Glen Sather. "He continues to perform at an elite level and also brings outstanding leadership qualities to our organization. Brendan will be a tremendous player and person for our young players to learn from."
source

That says a lot about how the perception of the franchise has turned for the better. When good character guys like Shanny want to come here not just for money you know times are changing.

Trading him would be a very poor decision, unless he indicates in some way that he doesn't want to stay here.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote