View Single Post
Old
01-12-2014, 07:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think what I wold then counter with is that yes, technically a "top 3" guy is someone in the top 90 scorers in the league, and therefore a top 6 guy is in the top 180. In reality, we know this is not quite the truth. Their are much less than 90 players that can carry an offense. What that true number is, I am not entirely sure. Maybe 1.5-2.5 per team. The reality to me is that the Predators have what, two players in the top 90 in scoring, but they are in the bottom dregs of that top 90 and are essentially tied with around 40-50 guys at the back of that 75-130 range of players. On top of that, they have less players overall in that scrum. So not only do the preds lack at top end talent, they have few players in the middle portion of the offensive scorers. They lack depth and top end talent in offensive production. Instead, the Predators are full of very effective role players, the tweeners that fit in the 150s-200s range of scoring. This isn't going to cut it when you have goalies that are letting in 1-2 soft goals every 30 shots.

Legwand/Fisher are top 6 players. They are also more of middle of the road top 6 players or tweeners. They aren't offensive dynamos. Neither have the ability to create offense on their own. Ditto the rest of the roster.

When we began our playoff run as a team, we brought in some players that could legitimately score. We had a Paul Kariya, Steve Sullivan, Jason Arnott, at times Forsberg/Radulov/Hartnell/Dumont. These guys were all offensively far more gifted than anyone that is currently playing on this roster. Truthfully, Wilson pre-shoulder injury last year was reaching the level of a go-to-guy. He is starting to refind his groove, but his game has shifted from the bull-headed offense guy to more conservative, playmaker, who is often found over-thinking his game.

I don't have answers. If I was at the helm, I think would burn off an incredible amount of assets trying to acquire 1 true offensively gifted player either via trade or FA. The Predators have no difficulty finding tweeners and depth. Look at some of the guys in the system - Beck, Watson, Sissons, etc are waiting for a chance on this roster.
We run what would be a 1.5-2 line for the upper tier teams across the league as our top line. That admitted, any claim that we don't develop or have true top six talent requires a redefining of the term. We can usually fill a couple of second lines with the players we run as our #1 line. Wilson and Bourque both teased the fanbase with their start to last season and put up good numbers before injury. Wilson took a step back to start this season and Bourque is putting up his worst numbers as a Pred. Luckily Smith is stepping up of late and showing some of the scoring flair he normally reserves for the Worlds.

I can't explain why we haven't seen some of the kids from Milwaukee called up given the scoring woes and injured top nine guys this season. If you'd like to broach the subject with the front office, feel free. Maybe you'll get a better answer than I did.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote