View Single Post
Old
01-13-2014, 03:32 PM
ThisisBen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
Also, some rinks offer leagues that are specifically open to beginners with little hockey experience. So don't feel like you have to wait before you can sign up for a league - see if there's one around you that caters for your level as there are some things that come a lot more naturally in game situations.

Welcome to the boards!
Thanks a lot! I'll look into it for my area but I really want to improve on my skating basics before getting into the hockey stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Stopping and balance are the two most important part of skating, imo. Balance because if you cannot take a hit, you will fall everytime while losing the puck. As for stopping, you don't want to take half circles around the ice, so stopping is definitely important. Not only that, but you could seriously hurt someone if you cannot stop.

I'd take time doing some sprints and just run a mile a day imo (even a half mile is fine, too). 50M sprints are also very helpful.
Thanks for the advice!

I agree with everything you say about stopping and balance and I'm pretty out of shape anyways so the running will do good for me in all aspects.

What about skating-specific/hockey-specific off ice drills/exercises?

ThisisBen is offline   Reply With Quote