View Single Post
Old
01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
All good questions. If I were to bet Slats will be running things again next year. One of these days Gorton might just leave for greener pastures. If we cut loose Richards and don't re-sign Cally or Girardi we're going to have a lot of cap space to work with. You don't think Slats isn't going to go on a spending spree? I would be absolutely shocked if we're not close to the cap ceiling next year like we are every year.

UFA forwards to look at next year. I wouldn't even consider anyone past 31 unless one-two year deals--Thomas Vanek--he's 29. Derek Roy-30. Mayson Raymond-28. Paul Stastny-28. Andrew Cogliano-26. The injury prone--Milan Michalek-29. Callahan-28. Mike Santorelli-28. Pouliot again-27. Mikhail Grabovski-29. Matt Moulson-30. Steve Downie-26. Devin Setoguchi-26. Ryan Garbutt-28. David Bolland-27. Brandon Bollig-26. Boyle again-29.

IMO Vanek's going to cost a lot. He's the only legit 1st liner. Moulson, Stastny will cost at least as much as Callahan.

UFA defensemen--injury prone Andrei Markov is 35--very short term if you sign him--he's a legit pwp threat. Same could be said for 37 year old Dan Boyle. Matt Niskanen--26 would be a good pickup--somehow I think he doesn't make it to free agency. Kris Russell-26. Andrew MacDonald-27. Girardi-29. Stralman-27. Mark Fayne-26. Mark Stuart-29 decent bottom pairing guy. Ditto for 31 year old Deryk Engelland.

Good D's will be harder to find than forwards.
Most of the teams sign their players to long term contracts out of entry level. Those players are off the market for a while. The Hawks will have the space to re-sign Kane and Toews to $12M per. Those guys are up in a year or two. There will be many overpaid players this summer and every summer.