View Single Post
Old
01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCharleschuk View Post
I'm sorry that you only remember the last couple of years of his career. He was always amazing to watch. Yes, when he was 33 or 34 he started having some joint issues. I think a sprained knee that caused a few missed games and a surgery in 2000. Then his other knee the next season. Then a silver medal for USA in 2002. Then a skull fracture due to an insane rising shot off his mask.

His played 14 years in the NHL.

So, I'm interpreting your statement about entertainment vs. results as discounting Richter's Stanley Cup and Olympic/WC achievements. I'm also interpreting it as discounting the fact that Richter never played hockey in a defensive system.
I remember his entire career. I remember a promising, entertaining, yet inconsistent goalie who split time with Beezer through '93. I remember a goalie who was great from 94-97, especially in big games. And I remember a goalie who was hurt and behind some truly terrible teams afterward.

I think Lundqvist has been better for longer, and thats the deciding factor for me. Team accomplishments mean very little to me when judging the value of a goaltender.