View Single Post
Old
01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Killion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I think Tarasov deserves a mention. From the three I say Gretzky.
Ya absolutely. Anatoli Tarasov was a master of innovation. Really he completely re-thought the way the game was played, how players were trained & Coached.... then again, what choice did his subjects really have?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazariahl View Post
I honestly think they were pretty equal in that regard. I may give Orr the slight edge just because his style was more influential in others wanting to play D and be like Orr. Off ice, Gretzky contributed more than any of these 3.
I think thats a pretty fair, honest & objective observation & comment. Frankly I think by the time Orr did come along we were seeing more of the Rushing Defencemen regardless, however without a doubt he speeded up the development, the changing of the way the game was being played, showed the world what could be and what was to come. A harbinger of sorts. Gretzky was so unique a talent, once in maybe 100yrs, and the actual ice surface itself reconfigured as a result of his play in moving the goal & blue lines. As for influence "off-ice", to be frank & critical, I think thats somewhat over-stated & over-rated.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote