Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards
View Single Post
Old
01-15-2014, 08:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The people making the decision on BR last season obviously don't feel like this.

Agreed about Stastny, getting him would mean that we have to out-bid everyone else at a point where everyone have cap-space and like 27 teams desperately are looking to improve. That would be setting him up to fail, like we did with Gomez, Drury and many others.
I think the ONE (Sather) person that decided on not buying Richards out last summer did so with the hopes that he would revert back to his pre-NYR signing days of being an offensive leader.

He's not that.

I also do not believe that Sather had any real intention of buying the guy out after one poor season, a shortened season at that.

However, on a go forward basis, with the cap recapture issue and the overall decline in his play which has come back somewhat this season, I have no doubt that the financial risks to the team in years 6-7-8-9 will far outweigh the rewards provided thus far and in years 4 and 5.

There's no justification for keeping a declining player at 6.66 per.

He's 33 now, will be 34 before the season is over.

You don't sign fading 34 year old players to contracts that are 6 years in term with a cap hit of 6.66 per.

Keeping him beyond this season is doing exactly that.

Richards has received 33 of his 60 million during the first three seasons of the deal. He hasn't provided the bang for the buck. Unless he is providing 60 point seasons in years 7, 8 and 9 he's not ever going to live of to the contract. Assuming for course he's actually playing at that age.

Financially it makes no sense to keep him here.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote