View Single Post
Old
01-15-2014, 10:23 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
I think this is an interesting deal. There are some differences here between Dubnyk and Scrivens despite the fact they are both 27 years old. The biggest difference I see is that with Scrivens there is potential for him to be a #1 golaie. That ship has clearly sailed for Dubnyk.

I say this because Scrivens has, by and large, been the superior goalie at every level prior to playing his first NHL game in late 2011. His journey to the NHL was quite different than Dubnyks but his numbers have been consistently better.

Dubnyk has had pretty pedestrian numbers all along his journey to the NHL.

As for their NHL comparison...Dubyks is clearly an NHL backup. There can be no doubt about that after playing 171 NHL games and being average at best and terrible at worst.

Scrivens on the other hand has played a grand total of 51 NHL games and although he has had very little time to adjust to the best League in the world his numbers are better than Dubnyks.

The only argument that can be made at this point is that the NHL sample size is too small for Scrivens but what all the complied data does suggest is that Scrivens potentially has a higher top end than Dubnyk.

So based on that I think this is a good move with a much higher potential upside than staying with Dubnyk.

I have no problem with giving up a 3rd for Scrivens. Its about time an Oilers GM started taking some risks instead of playing it safe.
The days of stockpiling potential assets and hoping for the best has to be over...time to put together a playoff team. Deals like this dont put the team over the top but they create a momentum of positive change.

Scrivens now has 20+ games to prove his worth so the Oilers get a hometown player who has something to prove.

Good deal for MacT.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote