View Single Post
Old
01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Wixztor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Except Gus and Mez have virtually identical ppg numbers this year (.35 to .37), a difference of only 1 point during the course of an 82 game season. All the while Mez has played worse defensively, against easier competition, with the same d partner.

Mez's play in his own zone has not been exaggerated. He's bad and he makes Luke worse as well. Bottom line is he doesn't provide enough offense to cover up his for his defense. I'm not saying to take him out just for the sake of it but when he sucks he sucks.

IMO the younger and cheaper player with less experience who actually seems to have a future with the team should be playing given all the above.
True, but in fairness, Mez has turned those point totals up lately. In the beginning of the season he kind of didn't have the fundamentals covered enough to care about offense. Over 82 games, Mez's PPG should become higher than Gus's. For what it's worth, he is a plus player too.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been good, but if Mez finds his way back he is better than Gus. He's got more physicality and size while still having good skating ability. There's an edge on Gus that is relevant. A chunk of bad games out of 27 this season is not enough to dismiss him totally. In this case he's got the excuse of the injuries, and even if he didn't, players slump for entire seasons sometimes.

I'm probably coming off as a Mez fanatic, but I'm not. I just see the possibility of him maybe, maybe hitting his stride. And that, rationally, makes me want to see if it can work out. Flyers short-sightedness and all that.