Thread: Cal Heeter
View Single Post
Old
01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Emery had/has (not sure which word applies here really) hip necrosis. I'm not a doctor by any means, but I know what the word "necrosis" means and it's really, really bad. It's degenerative. You don't have to be a doctor to know what the word "necrosis" entails.

I was willing to give Emery a shot with a short leash when we got him because he did put up stellar numbers with Chicago and I didn't think any team could make a guy with essentially dead hips look that good on paper, but apparently I was wrong.

Every time Emery plays the Flyers have to play a great game one way or another to compensate most of the time. He has no lateral movement to the point where it's the worst lateral movement I've ever seen in an NHL goalie. Nothing else about his game is all that special. His initial positioning and technique aren't bad at all, but they have to be because he doesn't have the movement to not have good technique or positioning on initial shots.

The Flyers are in the thick of a playoff race and you really can't be throwing away points in any way, shape, or form in that scenario. It wasn't long ago that the Flyers got into the playoffs on the last game of the season off of a shootout win. That's how close it is sometimes and pretty much how close it is right now.

Mason also isn't established enough as a legitimate starter to have a shaky backup at best behind him. If Mason falters or gets injured or needs games off we're screwed because Emery can't be a starter.

Anyhow, as far as Heeter goes, I'm wary of a guy with little pedigree or hype prior to this season that jumps from a .908 to .930 save percentage on a defensive AHL team. That screams to me "this guy's numbers are a fraud". AHL numbers in themselves also don't mean much. Michael Leighton has won AHL goalie of the year many times and you all saw how "great" he was for us.

If come trade deadline time the Flyers have a good advantage on the number two spot in the division like they almost did before and Mason doesn't pick it up really soon I actually wouldn't be opposed to acquiring a guy like Miller or Halak or Hiller or whatever just because we are absolutely screwed if Mason doesn't pick it back up and we have nobody ready to step in to fill that role realistically. Heeter is a long-shot.

In the meantime though I don't really care whether they stick with Emery or give Heeter a shot. The whole predicament is on management for going into the season with Mason/Emery as your goalie combo and nothing in the system to step in immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I've never seen anyone more determined to to deny reality on a hockey forum. Honestly, I've had enough.
I decided the same thing very long ago.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote