View Single Post
01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
"You never know."

"Anything can happen."

"Some guys just need a change of scenery.
Count me in the often mocked "anything can happen" camp for the most part.

Having said that, I would never, ever advocate trading real assets for old broken parts like that.

Resign Cally and G if they can be talked into contracts that aren't crippling, taking the future of the cap into consideration. Always keep an eye out for another 2C to rotate Step with. I'd say keep an eye out for a 1C, but honestly, those aren' there for the taking unless they have huge question marks. Keep drafting smart, keep looking for any UFA diamonds in the rough like MZA, though I doubt many more will be there as time goes on with scouting becoming so thorough.

I don't think they need to be, or should be, buyers or sellers. Draft smart, let the kids work their way up and see what they've got. Just last year Kreider was practically a bust around here, now he's probably the best forward. MZA was alright, not look at him. Players improve, especially young guys. I really believe that there's a solid core here, and its starting to look more like they are capable of playing AVs system effectively. Management should always have an eye out to improve the team, even if it means parting with a painful part, but they should never trade just to trade and they should never, ever, trade real assets for broken down old rentals.

I don't think an overhaul is necessary, and I've yet to see a proposed overhaul that doesn't make the team worse in the short term and just about the same in the long term with different names.

EDIT: Forgot to add this, since it's almost implied at this point. Get Sather far away from the office, bring in someone else. It doesn't need to mean a whole new direction and huge roster turnover, there just needs to be competent management that is aware of the ins and outs of todays NHL.