View Single Post
Old
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Phaneuf is a diamond in the rough. He may be the best defenseman to come along in NHL a long time. The future is his. Doubtlessly.

But to compare him today to Lidström or Pronger is just not doing either justice. C´mon, Lidström is probably the past decades best defender anywhere. He has the rings to prove it. And he scored a gamewinning goal in the Olympics as a bonus. Pronger is as good as you get - anywhere actually.

It is like comparing a hot streak baseball hitting rookie to Hank Aaron. Not even close. Yet.
You need to stay up late more often and watch how well Phaneuf is playing right now. He has smoothed out his game considerably. Very good skater, handles the puck cleanly and makes a great first pass. And did I mention he hits like a freight train? He is not a diamond in the rough, he is a diamond right now today. I've got to admit I'm a little amazed because I thought his MO would be more Scott Stevens than Dennis Potvin but he just continues to raise his game. I don't know when I've seen a young defenseman dominate at such a young age.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote