View Single Post
Old
01-17-2014, 07:56 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Let's look at some of the top teams, currently, in the NHL:

Anaheim has roughly $30M dedicated to 5 players.
Pittsburgh has $32.5M dedicated to 5 players.
San Jose $30.1M dedicated to 5 players.
Boston $30.1M dedicated to 5 players.

And this is RIGHT NOW, with a cap that's $10M+ lower than it's going to be next season.

You PAY your core. That's how you contend.

Selectively pulling an ES goal stat out of your ass doesn't mean much. In today's NHL, special teams plays a huge role in most games and most playoff games. Lundqvist has found his form, we have 4 pretty solid lines, and we're coming around defensively. Is this team, right now, a deadline seller? I don't think so. Are we a top contender like Anaheim and St. Louis? No. Are we right in the mix in a pretty weak Eastern Conference? Hell yes.

I don't trade those two guys. Especially Girardi. Fantasizing about draft picks that might or might not turn into something instead of having a top pairing minutes-eater like Girardi and a solid captain that plays top 6, kills PK, plays on the PP, and is a team leader is just that. Fantasizing. If these guys were 34 or 35 years old, I probably do it. They aren't. They are in they're prime and, presumably, both want to remain Rangers.
Here's the problem. Look at the top five guys for those teams and look at the top five we'd presumably be paying. The problem isn't in the money itself. It's that the 5 players Chicago is paying 30M is a much better investment than the 30M we're paying.