View Single Post
Old
01-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Bottom 5 this year will be ~75-76 point and under club I reckon like it was in 2010-11.

The Flyers would have to go ~9-21-4 to end up in that range.

There is far more of a chance they get 100 points that get 75 or under.

I imagine the Flyers will likely need ~90-91 points to make the playoffs. 16-13-5 from now on should do that. 17-12-5 would almost guarantee playoffs. (95.3%)

The Isles are going to have to go ~21-9-3 to make the playoffs... I doubt they do that.
I agree that it is a long shot for the islanders to make the playoffs but their schedule is very conducive for doing it. There are ten teams IMO that are clearly a step above the rest: bruins, lightening, penguins in the east and Chicago, blues, aves, kings, ducks, sharks, and Canucks in the west. The islanders only have to play them 7 more times. The flyers have to play such teams 16 times, the most of all the bubble teams. Capitals are next at 13, Detroit 12. Toronto and Ottawa 11 times each, and the Blue jackets are at 10 times. The Devils are tied with the Islanders with only 7 games. If there wasn't such a demarcation of good teams versus the average slop, I would say it doesn't matter but there are clearly teams that are significantly better than the rest. It's not just how many games you have left but who you have to play this year.