View Single Post
Old
01-18-2014, 10:00 AM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
You are playing your first, second or last year midget?
I'm playing my last year, I'm sort of a veteran for my team, and I'm trying to take my game to the next level for next year in Junior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Well a fear of the puck might be part of the problem. You may be subconsciously avoiding the front of the net in fear of getting hit by a slap shot from one of your defenseman. Playing goalie a bit is one of the best ways to increase your hockey IQ. You get a different perspective of the game and you start to see where forwards can position themselves to be in optimal scoring locations.

I have been a goalie all my life, but on the rare occasions I do skate out, I can hold my own against players much more skilled than I am, because I always know where to be on the ice and am not afraid to screen the goalie and pick up garbage goals on deflections or rebounds. It really is a skill to be able to stand in front of the goalie and screen him while not putting yourself in position to block the shot for him.

Obviously this is a very uninformed opinion because I haven't seen you play, but I don't think your release is the issue. If your release was good enough to be a top line player last season, and the competition is worse this year, then something else is the main issue.
I can override my fear of the puck if I know the point man will shoot low, but some of our defensemen are careless with the puck. We had a game on Tuesday, and when I fed a one timer to one of our guys, he unleashed a wicked bomb 6" in the air. I could hear our assistant coach yelling at him from the bench . I'll start blocking shots defensively to get used to the puck hitting me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iplayhockehh View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLr63oWYxWk

This video will teach you how to get a quicker shot off. Also, a move I like to do(as a right handed shot) is come down the left wing, get a step on the defenseman and then cut right into the middle and shoot. Ovechkin did this really well in his early years maybe you can find a clip of it on youtube.

As for getting in position, you need to keep your feet moving and find the open ice and yell for the puck. Even if the puck isn't coming to you 100% of the time in these positions it will eventually come to you. Doing this will allow you to get more shots off during the game.

Also, when you are moving around like this you are opening lanes for your teammates as someone from the opposing team will have to defend you and follow you even if you don't have the puck.

Kinda confusing concept, let me know if you have any more questions!
Great video ! It's amazing to see how even NHL players can sometimes have trouble with releasing the puck quickly . Notice how he only takes snapshots. He also does not hesitate to shoot off the wrong foot. Moving my feet is very important, I definitely need to work on my acceleration from a standstill position, to get ahead of opposing players. That will increase the number of odd man rushes, breakaways...

This afternoon, I have a game, I'll try to do everything you said, and we'll see if all my hard work pays off.

19Backstrom is online now   Reply With Quote