View Single Post
Old
01-29-2007, 12:03 AM
Block More Shots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
What you say about goaltending in the playoffs is certainly true, but there is a lot more involved, starting with special teams. Without strong penalty killing and the ability to score consistantly on the power play even the best goaltender can't win it all. There is not one problem here. Maybe, getting one or two players (a center and a defenseman) will start a domino effect and solve most of them, but I don't think it's possible without fresh blood and a change in the mindset of the coaching staff. That's asking for a lot over the next 33 games.
If you watch the 94' cup run, the games were obviously more wide open and involved a lot of scoring chances. Watching Richter make brilliant save after brilliant save was great. I'm not knocking the defense back then because it was pretty solid (Leetch, Lowe, Beuk, Zubov, etc...) but they weren't exactly a shut-down type of defense. They played well but not well enough to shut a team down nearly every time they entered the offensive zone. It didn't matter what kind of mistake the defense made though, Richter always seemed to be there to bail them out and make the big saves. What I'm trying to say is that the Rangers defense makes some mistakes every now and then, but as long as Lundqvist plays at the top of his game EVERY game during the playoffs, the Rangers could make a deep run.

I know it seems unlikely to occur looking at out current situation, but it's definitely possible.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote